Who doesn’t love a little soup in the cold of winter? One of my secret missions as a mom is to help my kids to enjoy a hearty helping of soup. Simple nutrition with lots of veggies! As the recipes for the soups we make are quite flexible and forgiving, it is definitely a meal they can “help” me make.
Another thought on soup — have you considered it for brunch? The MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group that I help lead recently had it’s annual Christmas brunch and soup was served. It was a hit! It immediately made the morning unique as we jumped outside of the realm of egg-bakes.
Now…as a dairy farmer, it would be just plain weird for me not to have a dairy product in a recipe I publish! This recipe doesn’t necessarily call for cheese, but you would certainly be remiss to leave it out. This Italian Soup absolutely must be garnished with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese. It takes it from ordinary to extraordinary, for sure.
1 pound ground beef
4 stalks celery
4 cloves garlic
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can kidney beans (with liquid)
1 15 oz. can Great Northern Beans (with liquid)
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 6 oz. cans V8
1 T. vinegar
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. thyme
8 oz. pasta (any small shape you like)
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
Brown hamburger with diced onion, carrot, celery and minced garlic. While you wait, combine remaining ingredients in crock pot. Then, add hamburger mixture (onions and celery should be transparent). Keep on low at least until warmed thoroughly, about 2 hours. 10 minutes before serving, cook pasta in boiling water until just tender. Drain. Add to soup and heat for an additional few minutes.
Is it possible to name something Italian Soup, and then not have pasta in it? I find the pasta to be completely optional in this soup.
Enjoy!! Make your kids eat at least a bowl full if they want a milkshake for dessert!
Need more inspiration? Check out some of these below! They are sure to lead you to a DairyChristmas!
- Posset-ively Eggnog Is Ice Cream by Farmer Bright
- #DairyChristmas: Peanut Butter Balls by Messy Kennedy
- Winter Iowa Corn Chowder (as featured on Cheeserank) by Little House on the Dairy
- #DairyChristmas Farm Barbie
- The best Christmas cookies in the world by Truth or Dairy
- Recipes for a Dairy Christmas by Cow Spots and Tales
- #DairyChristmas: Cherry Mint Sugar Cookies by Kimmi’s Dairyland
- Perfect for a Party – Cheddar Olive Bites by DairyCarrie
- Dairy Christmas Traditions by Knolltop Farm Wife
- #DairyChristmas: Love and Latkes by New Moon Dairy
- Family at the Table by The Deere Milkmaid
- French Onion Soup – Our Family Christmas Tradition by Eat Farm Love
- Dairy Delight by Spotted Cow Review
- Christmas Cookies and Holiday Hearts by My Barnyard View
- Italian Soup by So She Married A Farmer
- Christmas Tapioca Pudding by Guernsey Dairy Mama
- #DairyChristmas: Festive Parmesan Frico by Dairy Good Life