2 weeks after surgery

“How is Ava doing??”.  I have been asked this so much, and it means a lot to us.  I have been delaying updating my blog (which I truly apologize for) because she just changes all the time. 


‘Sural nerve stealing’ incisions. Thankfully, doctors who work on nerves start their training in Plastics. They know how to hide an incision in a skin fold.

For all the hours of anesthesia, I think she popped back up pretty well.  We stayed 2 nights in the hospital, 1 more night in Cincinnati, and then one in Wisconsin.  She took Tylenol regularly, albeit unwillingly for 5 or 6 days.  Also, she had some oxycodone, especially at night.  She isn’t on anything any more. 

Nights can be pretty rough.  I think, more than anything, it is just super tough to adjust herself while laying in bed.  (Try to lay down or pull up to sitting some time with one arm lying across your chest.  It is harder than you’d think.) She kind of gets stuck and panics, and then struggles to calm back down.  Also, for the first 9 days, she kinda hobbled around because of discomfort from the Steri-strip (like a fancy band-aid) that was on her right ankle.   Once that fell strip fell off, I was relieved to know that her unsteadiness wasn’t caused by nerve damage and I could let her play a bit more freely rather than constantly shadowing her. 

  She has 12 scars I massage and apply Mederma or Bio-Oil.   It is so many!!  3 per leg makes 6, one on each side of her neck, one behind her shoulder, and the 3 on her face from falls.  Those three:  one from the initial accident that is above her lip, one under her chin from playing with the goats, and one above her eyebrow from running up the sidewalk to swimming lessons.  Still so beautiful!  


A fellow mom of a child with brachial plexus injuries shopped for supplies so Ava could have a second sling in pink and purple, and paid for the cost to make it!  It has been so nice, since we even have to have her arm in a sling while she showers.  Joe’s mom has been helping me each night to get Ava changed into pajamas while holding Frank in place and making sure everything gets a dusting of anti fungal powder just for prevention.  

Red-neck silage pile packing??? Just kidding…Joe just checking the pile out.

Joe is in his super busy season of corn silage chopping. Usually 16 hours a day for 6 days a week.  Most years it lasts 3-4 weeks and we miss his so much.  We bring meals out for the crew but that is not nearly as exciting as having him around the dining room table. 

Oh, one more thing with Ava. She has become pretty shy lately.  I am hoping it is a short-lived phase but I give her slack for not being very outgoing in public — she has been through a lot, right?  So if she looks down when you ask her how she is, don’t be offended. I think she still gets the feeling that she is loved!

We fly to visit the doctors next week. Joe is staying in the field; Joe’s mom will accompany us.  They will look over her incisions and make a plan for therapy.  Vince and Liv will probably be shuffled in with cousins.  It is a huge blessing to have family so close.  

Right now, we are taking things just a week at a time.  Trying to get back into a school routine and protect her from falling. That’s all.  More updates next week. 


3 thoughts on “2 weeks after surgery

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s